Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
So this Tuesday bloggers are letting it all hang out and going freestyle, choosing whatever TTT theme tickles their fancy. Love it. I’ve decided to choose 10 power couples that I personally love. This topic appeals to me because I’m not a fan of obvious romantic stories. I don’t read books that cram a love story down your throat, no bodice-rippers in sight, and even most chick lit alludes me. This is not to say I don’t enjoy a beautiful love story because I absolutely do – it’s just that I prefer my love story to be VERY subtle, a slow build, something that percolates right beneath the surface for a long time before bubbling over. When I sat down to create this list, I had so much fun, but quickly realized I was not able to come up with a list of 10 bookish couples so I’ve chosen 5 couples from books and 5 from television shows.
Also, obviously my reading life is lacking in great love stories so please suggest some to me!!
Without further ado:
Brooke’s Top 5 Bookish Couples for the Unromantic Reader:
1. Hermione Granger/Ron Weasley from Harry Potter – Jo Rowling has several couples I truly adore, but none more so than Hermione and Ron. I’m a sucker for friends crippled by sexual tension and smart girls getting the guy of their dreams. Honorable Mentions: Snape/Lily, Remus/Tonks
2. Emma and Knightley from Emma – Many readers don’t like Emma, but I adore her. Far more importantly, Mr. Knightley is my favorite Austen hero (yes, even above Darcy). Again, friends who become more – I have a type.
3. Elizabeth and Darcy from Pride and Prejudice – I might like Knightley more, but the preference is negligible. My second favorite story is enemies falling in love.
4. Bathsheba Everdene and Gabriel Oak from Far From the Madding Crowd – The most honest depiction of a love story ever penned (that I’ve ever read, anyway – and also, my own humble opinion). Bathsheba is a kick ass heroine and I just noticed that Katniss from The Hunger Games shares her last name – wonder if that was on purpose because it would make so much sense.
5. Elphaba and Fiyero from Wicked – I relate to Elphaba is so many ways, so this choice is really about my love for her. Of course, her getting all dirty with Fiyero in the forest was pretty satisfying as well. Also, you gotta love when brunettes beat blondes.
Dishonorable Mentions: Katniss/Peeta/Gale, Bella and Edward (just to clarify, I hate these couples with a fiery passion)
Brooke’s Top 5 Television Couples for the Unromantic Reader:
1. Mulder and Scully – My first ‘ship. Yes, I read the fanfiction. Yes, I wrote the fanfiction. Yes, I find Gillian Anderson just as attractive as David Duchovny. Don’t judge me – you know The X-Files (seasons 1-7 only) was awesome.
2. Veronica and Logan from Veronica Mars – Even my husband rooted for them and he’s the opposite of romantic. I still believe that Kristen Bell and Jason Dohring are together in real life. I still feel you judging me.
3. Luke and Lorelei – Gilmore Girls is the best scripted show of all time. While Lorelei and Rory’s relationship rightfully took center stage, Luke and Lorelei quietly stole the show.
-Side Note: As for Rory, I’m a Logan girl. Do not argue with me on this fact because you will not win. Logan trumps both Dean and Jess always and forever.
4. Brian and Justin from Queer as Folk – I probably obsessed over Brian and Justin more than any couple on this list (with the possible exception of Hermione and Ron). They also prompted me to enter the blogging world way back in 2003/2004 when Livejournal was all the rage. I also wrote fanfiction. You can still find it on the interwebs, but under a secret identity that shall remain nameless.
5. Buffy and Angel – Love between a monster and the woman destined to slay him. God Bless Joss Whedon for all he has done for television and my life.
Honorable Mentions: Ross and Rachel, Monica and Chandler, Sam and Dean (bromance), Castle and Beckett, Chuck and Blair, Elena/Stefan/Damon, Chuck and Sarah (pre-wedding), Maria and Michael, Joey and Pacey, Angela and Jordan, Jim and Pam, Coach Taylor and Tami, Sydney and Vaughn, Doug and Carol, David and Donna, Zack and Kelly – I’m going to stop here before this list gets out of hand.
And just for some fun, my favorite Veronica Mars scene: